Sunday, June 10, 2012

Caramel Turtle Ice Cream Cake

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream...cake!!! Before I begin today's recipe I would like to just throw in a disclaimer by stating that I usually do not make such extravagant desserts very often because they are so rich; but, right around the time of my hubby's birthday, he likes to remind me that it has been a full year since I last made his favorite dessert - ice cream cake.  Earlier this week, we just happened to have some very special guests over and I decided to spoil them by making a caramel turtle ice cream cake for them since the temperate in Texas is already in the 90's.  Now I have to warn you that this recipe is time consuming because it requires freezing and refreezing the ice cream but the final result is well worth it!

Ingredients:
1 pack chocolate cake mix ( I prefer Betty Crocker but you can use any kind)
1 quart Bryers all natural vanilla bean ice cream
1 small container of cool whip ( I use the fat free kind but you can use any kind)
caramel syrup
chocolate syrup
pecan halves & pieces

Directions:
1. Bake cake according to directions on box. I bake mine in a 8 inch round but I don't separate it out into 2 pans. 
2. Let the cake cool over night.
3. Before you begin to build the ice cream cake, take the ice cream out for about 20-30 minutes to soften.
4. Once the ice cream has softened up, place the cake on a platter & scoop about 4-5 scoops on top.
5. Using a spatula, spread the ice cream and place in freezer.
6. Keep in the freezer for 10 minutes.
7. Repeat steps 4-6 and continue building the cake until the ice cream is the same height as the cake.
8. Once you're done building the cake, let the cake freeze for about an hour to an hour and a half.
9. At this point, you're ready to start decorating the cake.  Mix/ Whip the cool whip until it's smooth in consistency.
10. Spread the cool whip evenly on top and the sides of the cake.
11. Decorate with pecans, pecan pieces, caramel, & chocolate.  I used zip lock bags and cut a tiny hole in the bottom and created the swirls on top using those.

You can make this cake using any variation of cake and ice cream flavors.  One of the favorites in my house is chocolate cake with cookies and cream ice cream decorated with Oreo cookies. 

        

No comments:

Post a Comment